Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The Family of Bears

This report from our friend, Steve Burns, on his encounter with the bear family:

Last weekend, (May 19th, after the Progressive at First Water, which was great), I headed up the Lower Winter Creek Trail around 5:00 p, a trail that I have hiked many times. The sun was low and the light was spectacular as I walked up the trail. It is a 2 ½ mile hike to my cabin which takes an hour or so. I don’t often hike this late in the day, and I thought, “This is a good time to see wildlife”. Well, I was right...

Just below Cabins #126 & #127, about half way in, I heard a sound in front of me on the trail and, through the shrubs, I saw the rumps of two Black Bears. They were no more than 40 feet away and I stopped in my tracks. I could not see their entire bodies through the brush, but I knew that they were on the trail and I decided to try to get an image. I carry my small digital camera on my pack within easy reach, and when I unzipped the case, they both stopped eating and turned towards me. They stood motionless staring my way and I decided I should take a couple of steps back. As soon as I moved, the two bolted down into the stream bed and up the opposite slope. It was only then that I saw their size. One was a typical small 2-3 year cub, no larger than a big dog, but the other one was huge! I have seen several bears in the canyon over the years, but this one was full sized. If a smaller one is 150-200 lbs. the “mother” was at least twice the size! I was impressed to say the least.

As they were on the other side of the canyon, my concern was diminished, and then I heard a sound to my right. Not 20 feet away, through the brush I saw what I assumed to be another cub. Small, but big enough, and being between a mother and a cub is not a good place to be! I headed up along the trail and stopped about a hundred feet up and turned to look back. The light was not strong enough to get a shot with my camera, but the two, and the one, were all up on there haunches looking my way. An amazing sight and straight out of a nature feature! I was witnessing a scene that not many have seen. To see one bear is unusual, two rare, but a mother and two cubs: it was my first time. I felt blessed.

Your friend and trail guide,
Steve

No comments: