Friday, October 21, 2005

San Gorgonio

Last week Sharon and I were turned back from the lovely Kenyon-Devore Trail because of hunters. Sharon immediately reversed the negative energy by taking on San Gorgonio. This mountain stands 11,500 ft in the San Bernardino mountain range and in my humble opinion, is one of our most beautiful trails. It's about 2+ hours from Los Angeles but I think Sharon would agree that it's well worth the trip and she sends the following report of her trek.

"Well San Gorgonio was the best of both worlds. It made me laugh, it made me cry. There was anywhere from four to six inches of snow which slowed me down quite a bit. I made it to the ridge, a little over ten thousand feet in elevation and had the good sense to stay there, eat my lunch and enjoy the view. It was, as you know, spectacular. On the way down I was comming to a blind curve in the trail and as I got close to it who should be ambling towards me but a big , brown bear. We both froze when we saw each other. We were very close and it was very exciting and a little unnerving at the same time. The bear was beautiful. I turned around slowly and started walking back toward Richard who was not far behind me. The bear started down the mountain. I kept motioning for Richard to be quiet and look down because I didn't want to scare it away. Richard said it was the bigest bear he had ever seen. It was great. We started up at 7am and were back down at 7pm. It was a long day. I left my house at 4:30am and got home at 8:30pm. Then my sister and I went biking on the beach yesterday. It was like some triathelon. I refused to swim to Catalina this morning and slept in. I needed the sleep. It was great fun but somewhat difficult. Two people went to the summit but didn't make it because of the snow. I can see why you love the place."

No comments: