Monday, September 12, 2005

Going Solo




I haven't been hiking on my own for some time and it can be difficult to self-motivate on a cozy Sunday morning. I dug deep and somehow got myself to the trailhead by 8:00am. The road to our favorite trail has been closed for so long I can't remember the last time it was open. The rains last year resulted in the road collapsing in several places and it is just now being propped back into place. Usually, we walk up the three mile road but on this day I brought my bike. I'm always telling Sharon that the bike up would be easy and I must remember to mention to her that it is more tiring than I thought it would be. Nevertheless, I locked it at the pack station and set off to re-discover some peace of mind and re-acquaint myself with me.

Today I was lucky. The morning in Santa Anita Canyon welcomed me with just enough cloud cover to keep me cool and a slight breeze to discourage the blackflies. The golden leaves covering the trail suggest autumn but the air is absent a morning chill and I reached the shade of the tall pines just as the sun began to explode through the tiny cracks in the grey sky.

Sharon and I know many of the cabin owners and our hikes in this canyon often include visiting friends. This morning I saw someone I didn't recognize emerging from his cabin and he greeted me with a raised cup of coffee. Sharon, however, is the friendly one of us and all I could muster was a lifted palm with a wilting 'hello' as I whisked by. Had Sharon been with me, that guy would be featured here. Insecurity - 1.

Few others ventured out this day and I intruded on none but the quick squirrels with their mellifluous squealing to break the sweet silence.

Until next time.

No comments: